So, as I’ve mentioned my hubby loves his meat, and I try to prepare healthy meals as much as possible. One day (when I actually had control of the TV remote), I happened to be watching a PBS show “Secrets of a Chef” with Hubert Keller, who is one of my favorite Chefs. He was doing a show on mustard. He made a variety of mustards using mustard seeds, and he also made a chicken mustard burger. I decided to give it a try myself and it turned out really good. My husband loved it which is great because it gives us an alternative healthier “burger” instead of having red meat burgers all the time. Since I’m not a huge fan of seeds, I decided to use just regular Dijon mustard and I made some additional adjustments to make it more my own, but the end result is still super yummy!!! In an effort to keep it on the healthier side, I also use whole wheat or whole grain burger buns. I hope you’ll give it a try and you and your family will enjoy it too!!
Chicken Mustard Burgers
(Makes about 4 burgers)
1 lb. ground chicken
1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and finely chopped
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup Panko (Japanese Style) bread crumbs
1/3 cup Dry White Wine
1 Tbsp. Dijon Mustard (I recommend Grey Poupon)
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
1/2 tsp. Granulated Onion Powder
1/2 tsp. Granulated Garlic Powder
2 Tbsp. olive oil
4 Whole Wheat Burger Buns
Honey Mustard Sauce (Recipe Below)
1) In a large bowl combine all of the ingredients and mix well.
2) Divide mixture equally to make four (4) chicken burgers.
3) Place burgers on a plate and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to firm them up so they don’t fall apart when you cook them.
4) In a large skillet heat the olive oil. When oil is hot (but not burning), add the chicken burgers. Cook about 4-5 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees F.
5) Serve with Honey Mustard Sauce.
Recipe adapted from Hubert Keller
Honey Mustard Sauce
3 Tbsp. dry white wine
3 Tbsp. Dijon Mustard (I recommend Grey Poupon)
1/4 cup Mayonnaise
3 Tbsp. Honey
Season with Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Salt, and Black Pepper to taste
1) Whisk all ingredients together (adjust the amounts to your preferred taste).
2) Spread onto buns and serve with Chicken Mustard Burgers.