Who doesn’t love a good chicken salad? I’ve had plenty in my lifetime and each one was different. Some were plain, some had onion, some had celery, some had celery and onion. The list goes on. Well, I love bell peppers. Their sweetness and crispness give cold salads just the right amount of crunch and they go perfectly in my chicken salad! It’s said you eat with your eyes first, and the bright, variety of colors give the chicken salad a colorful appearance. Hence, “confetti” chicken salad!
I’ve made this recipe many times. Family and friends really love it. It’s great on its own or in a sandwich. Me, I prefer eating it with crackers. Yum! I hope you’ll give it a try and enjoy it as well! Another perfect cold salad for the Summer!
Confetti Chicken Salad
4 chicken breasts
Chicken Stock, enough to cook the chicken breast (about a gallon)
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 orange bell pepper seeded and choppe
3/4 cup celery, finely chopped
1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
1 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup sour cream
Salt, Pepper, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder to season
1) Bring chicken stock to a boil. Add chicken breasts and poach about 20 minutes or until chicken is completely cooked.
2) Remove chicken from stock. Discard the stock.
3) In a food processor, add small amounts of the chicken and pulse until shredded.*
4) In a large bowl, combine the shredded chicken, red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, orange bell pepper, celery, and red onion. Mix to combine.
5) Add mayonnaise and sour cream and mix well.
6) Season with salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder.
*Here is another option: In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle, add the hot chicken breast to the bowl of your mixer. Mix on medium speed for 20-30 seconds until the chicken is shredded. Be sure the chicken is warm as cold chicken is harder to shred and could damage your mixer. Thanks to thewaytohisheart.wordpress.com food blog for this great tip!!