Yes, this Italian cook is making Greek food – and I love it! A while back I found a spectacular recipe for souvlaki made with pork. I prefer chicken so I decided to make it with chicken instead. At first I thought the marinade was a bit of a crazy combination, but it turned out so delicious. With it’s odd combination of soy sauce, oregano, lemon juice, garlic, and olive oil – the marinade made for an extremely moist chicken with incredible flavor. Just the right amount of saltiness from the soy sauce and tartness from the lemon juice. With the addition of garlic – the combination is perfection!
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tsp. dried oregano
3 cloves garlic, crushed
4 chicken breasts
2 medium yellow onions, cut into 1″ pieces
2 each: red, yellow, orange bell peppers, cut into 1″ pieces
1) Mix together lemon juice, lemon zest, olive oil, soy sauce, oregano, and garlic.
2) Place chicken in a Ziploc bag and add marinade. Refrigerate 4 hours or up to overnight.
3) Place onions and peppers in a separate Ziploc bag and add another batch of the marinade. Refrigerate up to 4 hours or up to overnight.
4) Grill meat and vegetables until done.
5) Slice chicken and serve with pita bread and tzatziki sauce.