Last weekend our family enjoyed a spectacular camping trip near Bryce Canyon in Utah. We usually pack easy stuff like hamburgers and hot dogs, but over the past couple of years, I’ve wanted to bring other foods that we can grill or heat up instead of the same old same old. My husband laughs at me constantly when we are getting ready for a camping trip because I’m the only one he knows of that packs “gourmet” food for a camping trip! He laughs, but he still eats that gourmet food!!!!
So, along with the traditional grillin’ grub, I decided to add a couple of other meals for the weekend. I marinated chicken and veggies for Chicken Souvlaki and Grilled Veggies. We packed our grilling baskets to grill those up for a delicious dinner one evening. I also pre-made some corn that we could heat up on our cool new camping stove and make quesadillas! We packed some shredded cheese and sour cream in the cooler and brought along a package of tortillas. Good thing I made extra because the rest of the family went crazy over it! They really were delicious!!
So, here’s my recipe for Corn Quesadillas. They are a great vegetarian option and surprisingly quite filling too! We like ours a little on the spicy side, but add more or less Chipotle chili powder to your desired preference. I hope you’ll enjoy this recipe as much as my family does!!
Southwestern Corn Quesadillas
1 can whole kernal yellow corn, drained
1/2 medium onion, finely diced
2-3 roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
2-3 large pieces of roasted red peppers, marinated, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
2 Tbsp. lime juice
1 Tbsp. butter, melted (I use I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter Spray)
1/4 tsp. Chipotle Chili Powder (or as desired)
Salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder to season
2 Tbsp. Cilantro, chopped
Olive Oil as needed
Sour Cream and Shredded Cheese (I use Kraft Mexican cheese blend) as toppings
Tortillas (for a healthy alternative, I use Whole Wheat tortillas)
1) In a large skillet, heat olive oil and saute’ onions until soft. Add the corn and cook another 6-8 minutes.
2) Add the tomatoes, peppers, and jalapeno. Mix well. Cook about 2-3 minutes.
3) Add the lime juice, butter, and chipotle chili powder. Season with salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. Mix well and cook another 2-3 minutes.
4) Remove from heat. Stir in cilantro and mix well.
5) Spoon hot mixture into tortilla, sprinkle with shredded cheese, top with sour cream and fold over. Enjoy!!