I’ve been trying to be creative with meals lately and while Rob loves my chicken mustard burgers, I’ve beengetting bord with them. I had some ground chicken thawed and decided to try something really different with it. I love Italian food and I happened to have some pepperoni, diced tomatoes, and mozzarella cheese in the house. Hmmmmm, a plan is coming together!! Obviously, I stuck with an Italian theme for this one! The chicken burger had all the elements of a pizza – so I decided to call it my “Pepperoni Pizza Chicken Burger” and Rob LOVED it!
It was so delicious and had all those wonderful Italian flavors – basil, oregano, garlic, tomatoes and the spicy bite of pepperoni. YUM!! I used the rest of the can of diced tomatoes to make a chunky sauce to put over the chicken burger.
So, I hope you’ll give this twist on pepperoni pizza a try and enjoy it!!
Pepperoni Pizza Chicken Burger
1 lb. ground chicken
10 slices pepperoni, finely diced, plus extra slices for topping
4-5 mushrooms, finely diced
1/2 tsp. chopped garlic
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella, plus extra for topping
1/2 cup bread crumbs (I recommend Panko bread crumbs)
1/4 cup canned diced tomatoes, reserve remaining juice and tomatoes
To season: Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, dried Rosemary, dried Thyme, dried Oregano, dried Basil
Olive oil, as needed
Burger Buns (I use whole wheat to keep it healthy)
1) In a large bowl, combine the above ingredients except the olive oil. Mix well and form into four (4) patties.
2) In a large skillet, heat olive oil and gently place patties into heated oil. Cover and let cook 6-8 minutes. Gently flip burgers and cook another 6-8 minutes.
3) While burgers are cooking, in a small saucepan, add the remaining diced tomatoes and juice. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, rosemary, thyme, oregano, and basil. Mix well. Heat through.
4) When chicken is cooked through (internal temperature is 160 degrees F), remove from skillet and place on a burger bun.
5) Top with pepperoni, shredded mozzarella cheese, and the tomato sauce.
Serve and enjoy!