So after a quick trip to the Orient, I’m back to my Italian roots with another family recipe! Yet another popular dish for my family gatherings and a party favorite is sausage and peppers. My mom used to make this a lot when we had parties or a lot of people over. It’s easy to make in advance too! Make it at your convenience and freeze it until you need it!
The sweetness of red bell peppers combined with the spice of Italian sausage is pure deliciousness!! Wanna know another trick? To give it an even better flavor, grill the sausage links on the barbecue first! My dad used to cook the sausage this way all the time. Once my mom just cooked them in a pan and our traditional sausage and peppers just didn’t have the same taste! Grilling it first gives the dish an incredible depth of flavor. Trust me – you won’t regret it!
I serve it as its own dish or along with rolls for spectacular sausage and pepper heros!!
Sausage and Peppers
10 Italian sausage links (Spicy or Mild – your preference!), grilled or cooked through and sliced
1 tsp. garlic, chopped
2 Onions, thinly sliced
3 Red Bell Peppers, thinly sliced
3 Green Bell Peppers, thinly sliced
Tomato Sauce, as needed
Olive oil, as needed
1) Grill the sausage links until cooked through. Allow to cool and slice.
2) In a large pot, heat some olive oil and add the garlic and onions. Cook over medium-high heat until onions are tender. Add the red and green peppers and cook about 6-8 minutes until tender.
3) Add some tomato sauce until coated as desired.
4) Add sausage slices into the pepper mixture. Mix well.
5) Transfer to a baking dish or tin.