Everybody knows I love Italian food, but I also love Chinese food! If it’s not pizza, my go-to choice for take-out is Chinese! But, it’s not the healthiest of choices on my health plan. Until now…
As you’ve probably figured out, I do a lot of web surfing for recipes and ideas. One of my favorite sites is Pinterest and I love how they offer suggested pins of things you might like. But, I spent some time searching for healthy recipes and was able to find some really great ones that I will be sharing as I try them! As I’ve mentioned in previous posts, I’m on a health journey and healthy recipes are an important part of my life now.
One of the ones I found was a Beef and Broccoli recipe that looked delicious! It was all healthy ingredients and I decided to give it a try. I’m glad I did! Turned out fabulous and my husband and son LOVED IT! My middle daughter wasn’t impressed, and my “almost vegetarian” 4 year old ate only the broccoli. Ya know, because she’s “allergic to meat.” But overall it was a hit. For me, it is definitely another delicious, healthy recipe to add to my recipe list. And one I will definitely be making again and again.
The recipe calls for fresh ginger, which I didn’t have, but I did have ground ginger. So I ended up using that instead. I also didn’t have any scallions, but I’m sure they would have added a nice fresh, crispy bite and added texture. And when I went to the store, they were out of flank steak so I substituted rib-eye and then thinly sliced it myself.
I served it over riced cauliflower and the juice from the dish coated the cauliflower and gave it a really nice flavor. With the added vegetables, this dish is quite filling and you definitely don’t feel like you’re missing any rice. I was really amazed that it tasted so much like authentic beef and broccoli.
So, if you love Chinese food but are looking for a healthy alternative – look no further! This one is it! Enjoy!
Beef and Broccoli
4 cups cauliflower rice
Non-Stick Cooking Spray (like Pam)
1 1/2 lbs. flank steak, thinly sliced
2 cups broccoli florets
1/2 cup chicken broth (or beef broth)
1/3 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. minced fresh ginger
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 cup diced scallions
1 12 oz. package frozen riced cauliflower (or follow step 1 if using fresh cauliflower)
- Heat a lightly greased skillet over medium-high heat, add cauliflower rice, and cook until tender about 3-5 minutes. Remove rice from skillet and set aside. Place skillet back on stovetop over medium-high heat.
- Lightly grease the skillet and add the beef. Cook until done, about 4-5 minutes, flipping beef slices halfway through to ensure both sides brown evenly.
- Add broccoli and broth to the skillet with the beef. Cook until broccoli is just tender.
- Add the soy sauce, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, and scallions. Stir until combined. Cook one to two minutes. Remove from heat.
- If using frozen cauliflower, heat riced cauliflower in microwave according to package directions. Serve beef and broccoli over cauliflower rice.
Recipe courtesy of Pinterest.