So after sharing a sweet treat for the Fall season, I’m back sharing another healthy recipe!
Using my Spaghetti Squash Chicken Enchilada recipe as my inspiration, I changed up the flavors and went from Mexican to Italian! As everyone who has read my blog knows by now, I am Italian (and proud of it!) and I love Italian food. But, it’s not always the healthiest with all of the carbs from the pasta and tons of cheese.
I am really loving the versatility of spaghetti squash. There are so many things you can do with it!! I also love its mild flavor. It really takes on the flavors of whatever you make with it.
With the flavors of Italy in this dish, you won’t miss the pasta at all! I seasoned the spaghetti squash with a little bit of olive oil, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and oregano. Delicious!
For chicken parmigiana I would normally use chicken cutlets, floured, dipped in egg wash, and coated in bread crumbs and then fried. Definitely not a healthy option! So for this recipe, I used lean ground chicken instead. Of course I had to use my homemade tomato sauce for this recipe. If you don’t have homemade sauce or don’t feel like making it, that’s okay. You can still find healthy store bought sauces.
Chicken Parmigiana Spaghetti Squash
For the spaghetti squash
1 small spaghetti squash, cut in half, seeds and strands removed
2 tsp. olive oil
Salt, Pepper, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Oregano, Basil
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2) Prepare squash, season each half with 1 tsp. olive oil (rub oil all over each half of the squash), salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, and basil.
3) Place seasoned squash face down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil (lightly sprayed with non-stick spray).
4) Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour until squash is tender and cooked through.
For the filling
1 lb. ground chicken
1 tsp. olive oil
2 tsp. minced garlic
1/3 cup tomato sauce (plus 2/3 cup additional for final assembly)
Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Oregano, and Basil for seasoning
1/2 cup reduced fat shredded mozzarella cheese
1) In a large pan, heat the olive oil and minced garlic. Saute garlic until lightly browned. Add the ground chicken and season as desired with seasonings.
2) Cook ground chicken until almost completely cooked. Add 1/3 tomato sauce and mix well, continuing to cook chicken through.
3) Remove squash from oven and turn over. Using a fork, lightly scrape the inside of each shell to create spaghetti like strands. Leave in the shell. Add some of the tomato sauce and mix a little bit. Fill the shell with half of the ground chicken mixture and add more sauce if desired. Sprinkle with the shredded mozzarella cheese. Do the same for the second half of the squash.
4) Place squash back in oven for 6-8 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly. Remove from oven and serve immediately.